Autocrossing a Fiat X1/9
Autocrossing a Fiat X1/9
My primary hobby for many years was
my '81 Fiat X1/9, "Pyrite", and its predecessor, "Colibri", a '79,
both of which were prepared for SCCA's D Street Prepared class.
(After I painted Pyrite, I always meant to change the name since it was
no longer meaningful once the car was no longer gold, but somehow the
old name stuck. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions anyway!)
I've driven Pyrite to nationals
(held in Kansas) twice, and garnered a second-place (DSPL) trophy one
of those times. I actually won the DSPL national championship once,
back in '89, but it was in Bill Condrashoff's X1/9, not my own.
Lately, I'm retired from autocrossing,
though I've been wanting to run some local events again.
(I got tired of the long weekly drives to Sacramento and
yearly drive to Kansas.)
3/20/98: Retired Pyrite.
At just short of 250k miles, some of it on the east coast and other snowy
areas, the underside of the body is just too rusted out.
Most of Pyrite's parts were transplanted into a red-over-brown '86 body,
named "Redshift", which I drove until 2010.
5/6/98: I finally got the new car!
But what should I name it?
Later: I'm calling it "Redshift".
Redshift was retired in 2010.
I'm a member of Team.Net
and Fiat America.
See Pyrite, back when the car was still gold, hence the name,
putting down the
long straight at Thunderhill.
I originated the web page for
San Francisco region SCCA autocrossing, but am no longer the
I also collect articles related to California's new
Reformulated Gas and its possible health hazards.
This is my first X1/9, "Colibri" (Italian for hummingbird) at an autocross
at Crow's Landing.
Or see Colibri
charging up into turn 2
at an autocross at Sears Point.
I do most of the work on my vehicles.
Here's an article I wrote a long time ago on
home wheel alignment, and one on
Flaring the fenders on a Fiat X1/9.
Back to Akkana's home page.
(These are probably way out of date by now)
- San Francisco Region, SCCA Autocrossing
- Thunder Valley Racing
Lots of good info on women in racing
- Information on California Smog Laws
- Team.Net Archives
- Autocross FAQ
- Team.Net Majordomo interface
- Instrumented Tires Testing
A comparison of various current street tires, using a G*Analyst
and Horsepower - A Primer
- 94 Nationals Results in one big file
- BMW southern CA autox schedule
- Dennis Pedersen's Suspension Analysis spreadsheet
- My article on home alignment techniques
- Mini Mania, with articles on
home alignment and lots of other stuff (including, naturally, Minis
- AnalogMike's article on home alignment
- Jim Fogarty's article on BFG R1 construction, care and feeding
- G-Whiz Jovo
A G*Analyst type device for measuring G forces
- Hillclimb/Solo I
- Bill Stoffel's TVE Television Events Listing
- rec.autos.sport Racer Archives
- American Racing Scene -- an e-zine
- The Special Car Journam - An e-zine for classic, exotic, and sports car enthusiasts
- Basic Solo II Course Design
- Richard Welty's SCCA Page
- Info on Topeka Hotels
- TAMSCC gopher server
- Physics of Racing
- Starting Karting
- Pete's Racing Page
- Rally and Rallycross
- Rallying Links Page
- Autox in Chicago
- NXRACER Chicago race info
- Race Tracks (at balltown)
- Race Tracks (at bath.ac.uk)
- Official Web Site of Laguna Seca
- BMW site hot list Lots of good racing-related links here
- Bowling's Automotive Programs
- Source of magnetic vinyl
An IT racer with a home page on Compuserve
- Western WA Sports Car Council
- Fiat America
- Mirafiori Fiat page
This is a most excellent page, a must for Fiat enthusiasts!
The Internet Fiat Connection Another good page, with links all over
- PBS Price List
A bit out of date, but better than nothing ...
- Bertone official page
- Toshiyuki Sunaba's X1/9 page
Toshiyuki lives in Japan and drives and autocrosses a white '78
(a California model!)
- Singapore Bertone
Nice specs page, comprehensive list of X1/9 links
- Dave's Pages
Not much Fiat info, but there's a wonderful picture of his '82 X1/9
pulling a rented Caravan RV.
Speed, Traffic Laws, and related sites
- CA Vehicle Code @ U Indiana
- "Leginfo" site for Vehicle Code
- Speedtrap registry
article on a Missouri town which went broke after a federal law closed their
speed trap. Great reading!
- Traffic Court Quiz
- National Motorists' Association
- Reasonable Drivers Anonymous
Cop Car registry
- Ask Mr Traffic
Note: I don't agree with this guy's views at all, I keep this link
here to remind me who not to take for traffic school.
Mechanical Tips, and Parts Info
- Exide Automotive Battery
- Carburetor Tuning
the Scientific Way Oriented toward Holleys, but full of information
which should be useful for other carb types as well
Misc. Auto Links
- A very extensive list of car-related sites
- Dimebank Garage
- Various car GIFs
- Webfoot's Used Car Lot
- Tire Size / Aspect Ratio Calculator
- Highway 17 Web
Page of Shame
- Cars and Culture (term paper)
- Frogfarm FAQ
- BMW Information
- Car Parts
- Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company
- Edmunds Car Buying Guide, with used car price guidelines
- New Car Information (Dealer Net)
- NSX Home Page
- Talon/Eclipse/Laser Home Page
(list taken from the
BMW hot list):
Auto Racing Simulator Reviews by Stuart Jackson
Papyrus Indy Car Racing -- free demo software
Papyrus NASCAR -- free demo software
MicroProse World Circuit -- free demo software
IICC -- online racing series using Papyrus Indy Car game
ICRS -- online racing series using Papyrus Indy Car game
NASSCAR -- online racing series using Papyrus NASCAR game
IGN -- online racing series using Papyrus NASCAR game